Sunday, June 14, 2009

Gay Prom

My sister, who is not gay, and her female friend, who also is not gay, wanted to go to our city's free gay prom to show their support of our city's gay youth.

They have some homosexual friends, some of whom will be going.

Angela has a real heart for gay rights, and has chosen to do many of her summative school projects on the topic.

She is not the sort of person who is into "experimenting" and is one of the most obsessively sexually pure people that I know, even though she's not a Christian. Thus, I do not think that sort of environment would tempt her to run off and have sexual relationship with another girl.

I think its great that she wanted to go. I think it shows what a beautiful heart she has. I also think that if Jesus walked the earth today, its the sort of place He would hang out at.

It didn't even occur to me that this would be a controversial thing in our family until I came up the stairs to my Mom telling Ange she couldn't go. I stood up for Ange, saying its where Jesus would hang out, and my Mom said, "yeah, to preach to them!" I said, "No, Jesus ate with sinners. He was their friend." The conversation ended.

Apparently my Mom and Ange talked later though, and my Mom said she couldn't go because she didn't want Angela to support homosexual sex.

Personally, I feel, using that logic, the same can be said about going to a regular high school prom, only you're supporting premarital sex, which we're supposed to see as just as sinful.

To be fair, I should include that my Mom did suggest that alternatively, she should invite her homosexual friends out for lunch instead. Since they're already friends though, I would imagine that sort of thing happens all the time anyway.

To me, this situation seems pretty cut and dry. I think she should go. But I get that not everyone would see it that way.

So, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment