Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Actually Doing Something

I had a gruesome four hour talk with my Mom and new stepdad over the holidays. If you saw my facebook status around New Years, "Gloria is frustrated and drained," (when oh when will I learn to stop being so melodramatic?) this was mainly the reason for it. Though I'm still a bit hurt and frustrated about some of the things that were said, it got me thinking.

Sometimes I'm in love with the idea of "saving the world" rather than actually actively doing something NOW about it. Case in point: Today, I met a guy in my Philosophy class and we got in a discussion about International Development and how he's in it and how I'm not anymore. I said, half seriously, "I'm sort of sad I'm not in it anymore because I've noticed that the most interesting people tend to be taking that program and I miss being associated with that." Its true though. I love the artsy anti-Walmart fair-trade coffee drinking, soy bean-eating, philosophy-reading image. Those people are cool! Yet I know that looking cool is FAR from the point.

I have lots of future dreams of doing all sort of wild ministry, but I'm not really actively involved any social change movements right now. I sponsor a child, but throwing money at a situation isn't exactly love in and of itself.

Therefore, this semester, I resolve to stop waiting until I graduate and actually get my hands dirty NOW.

4 comments:

  1. I proud of you Gloria, and I am excited to see where this will lead you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. any idea on what this will look like yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!

    I start working at an out-of-the-cold program on Wednesday in the basement of a downtown church I attended on Sunday. Its kind of cool how it happened. I went to this one church mostly because the building was about 150 years old and it was a Missionary church. Then, after the service, these two ladies were making small talk with us and I asked if the church had a College and Careers. They excitedly replied, "We sure do!" and scurried off to have me meet the pastor's wife. She and her husband started talking about C&C and then started talking about the other ministries of the church, specifically the Out of the Cold program for homeless people that runs 5 nights a week. She said, "so, if you're interested in any volunteer opportunities we'd love to have you." And that was EXACTLY the sort of thing I was hoping on doing. :)

    ReplyDelete