Friday, January 16, 2009

Male Modelling

Yesterday in a seminar the TA didn't show up for 20 minutes so we had a lot of time to kill. Most people were listening to their ipods, texting or facebooking. I just sat there, bored. The guy behind me was reading an interesting looking book so I decided to ask about it. We got talking, which was awkard because we were the only ones talking in this room of silent technology-absorbed individualism. We were half whispering, not really being sure what volume our voices should be at.

We got talking about cities because he was from Toronto and we were discussing the merits of both Guelph and Toronto. Then he brought up that New York was a nice city and how he went there over the Christmas break.

I asked, "Oh, how come you were in New York?"

"I was modelling. I'm a model," was his reply.

It was a confusing moment for me. Should I be impressed? Should I be intimidated? Did he assume I was attracted to him - especially now that he had told me this peice of information about himself? I didn't know what the social protocal was for behaving around male models!

I suppose its the same for the way you behave around normal people, but I secretly don't like excessively good looking people - especially males, because I assume they are snobby so I snub them first. He wasn't excessively good looking, but one would assume that the fact that he models and the fact that he throws it out there in introductory conversations probably means that he thinks he is excessively good looking, which is (of course) just as bad - except that he wasn't being snobby because we were having a perfectly fluid conversation. He was messing with my heuristics.

And that's really all I have to say about that.

5 comments:

  1. did he have nice hands? maybe he was a hand model or they were using part of him with someone else to make them look very good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i don't really know were i was going with that last post. but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "we were the only ones talking in this room of silent technology-absorbed individualism."

    I really like this sentence. It is so utterly descriptive that it shakes it me a little. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along with the quote from Greg's comment; that happens to me a lot, sitting in a class full of people all into their technology. It makes you wonder how much we rely upon electronics. And that both makes me mad, and scares me. Because how many times have I snubbed someone for my phone or laptop or a movie or TV show or iPod? I think it's breaking our community a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria, you make me smile. I love that you wrote about this awkward situation. I can just picture the things whirring around the over-thinking- internally debating- moral seeking- girl's brain that we both share.
    And I wish I could talk to you in person, talking about silly encounters like this one, laughing in agreement.

    ReplyDelete